More than just cakes, tarts, cookies, and daily muffins, but also offering the signature chocolate truffle-pops. Aesthetically pleasing and palate-satisfying pastries mostly prepared daily by pastry chef & owner (partnership w/ her two sisters) Eleanor Tsang formerly of O'douls, Pacific Palisades, and Lesley Stowe Fine Foods.
The cakes are light & fluffy for the ones that should be as such like the fruit mousse cakes. No need for Anna's across the street anymore (though Anna's has chunks of mango). The chocolate ganache shortbread cookies are simply perfect! Not too sweet w/ a nice touch of cocoa powder sprinkles perfects the chocolate-yness of it though my friend has a sweeter tooth for chocs, so it was just passable to him as he's more of a milk rather than dark chocolate person, I find sweet e's approach more natural & preferable myself.
The lemon meringue cake/tarts are deliciously made w/ marshmallow topping rather than the usual whipped cream variety which actually adds to the experience as well as a smart choice being that it doesn't melt so easily and less messy than whipped cream. The tart crust is notably fresh, buttery & flakey w/o being overtly so. The lemon filling is so perfectly smooth, it melts in your mouth while leaving you wanting for more.
The selection of chocolate truffles-pops are so beautifully arranged it's difficult to choose just one! The tissue wrappings are so colourful & the variety of velvety & sparkly wire twist ties used makes it well worth charging more than the $1.50 price tag on them! (But thank god it's only $1.50 ea. so I can keep splurging on the cute things). None of them are actually on the sweet side--again, it allows for you to taste the natural cocoa butteryness of it all without the feeling of sugar-overdose at any point.
It's a tiny make-do storefront while most of the unit space seems to be reserved for the most important thing--the kitchen. Peeking in, it looks well kept and clean. I hope there is an a/c built in since it will get rather stuffy come summer as it is rather warm in there even now.
Definitely, a new favourite & easier on my wallet than Sen5es--though I have yet to find anything/anywhere that tops Sen5es' Lemon Tart and Stilton Cheesecake. Super addictive! But that's neither here nor there.
I came here a couple of times after hearing a glowing review by a fellow sweet tooth. At first I thought this was a typical upper echelon bakery with various sweets but once I stepped in I thought I was in a wedding cake fair!
They do mostly cakes and cookies (or at least that's what I was seeing). Since I had no direction to what I wanted to choose I asked one of their employees for recommendations. The young gentlemen was incredibly helpful and explained a few he enjoyed as well as what ocassion I would be serving them in to compliment the event. I ended up with their Chocolate Silk Cake and Carrot Cake. What rich flavour! Not thinking that a tiny cake would be enough (they assured me it would be) I was glad I took their advice. A little slice goes a long way and the best way to enjoy it is to savour it. Speaking to the employees there they also mentioned how they don't have a set menu and will bake off-menu cakes depending on season. Otherwise their menu has many classic favourites like Lemon Meringue, Black and White, Banana Cream, Bread Pudding and an assortment of equally mouth-watering cookies.
There are no tables to enjoy it in house but with cakes this delicious you have to share it with others.
The cakes are incredible. Whenever I see a free parking spot in front, I pull in and grab a muffin-of-the-day. Outstanding. The gals who run this place are efficient and friendly. The lemon tarts are perfect. Excellent value compared with similar bakeries. They make teeny-weeny "babycakes" which are two-bite cupcakes, exquisitely decorated - a dozen of these make for a beautiful dessert.
I always wondered how this place stayed in business (considering how it is tucked away in a corner, and its small business space) in a moderate-traffic area such as kerrisdale, but now I think I know why! The pastries are delicious, and the service is fantastic...
Food: I've had quite a few of the smaller pastries here:
- babycakes: not my favourite, but it's not too sweet and good for someone wanting portion/sugar control
- sugar cookies: one again, not too sweet or doughy, nice and light
- cupcakes: the frosting is unlike the usual frosting (I don't even know if I should call it frosting) you get at cupcakes or other bakeries.... it's strange and cold/creamy at first, but it's worth trying
- brownies: to die for, nice and rich with the ganache...sweet enough but not overly sugary. MUST HAVE!
- banana cream: light and fluffy, sweet and delicious. another MUST HAVE
- cheesecake: a lighter kind of cheesecake, but it's still great
- shortbread: lovely!
I have yet to try the larger cakes or the truffle pops...must do that soon. The service is great and the ladies who work there are pleasant and never rushes you into making a choice.
My only two negatives about this place is:
1) The Hours: their hours vary too much from day to day, and often it seems to close before the actual time.... I've been here about 15 min before it's supposed to close only to find an entirely closed down shop.... irritating. The hours that they are open for business is very limited and short, making it inconvenient for the customer
2) The price: I put the value rating at 3 (solid) because it IS delicious cakes, and they all seem to be high quality - however, I don't think many people would return to buy a small cookie for $1.50 or a brownie for $2.50 (not exact prices), considering their SMALL size.
I would still recommend giving this place a try if you have some extra change, all of their pastries I have tried have been great