Great steaks, a casual ambiance and friendly, very knowledgeable staff are the proud and reliable trademarks of The Keg Steakhouse & Bar. Opening up for business Summer 2014.
I often visit the Keg whenever I crave a steak and I have rarely been disappointed. Some of my favourite starters include the French Onion soup and Scallops & Bacon. Both are excellent.
Without a doubt, the Filet Mignon is my favourite steak. The description on the menu speaks for itself ("The Ultimate in tenderness"). Not to mention that it is wrapped in smoked bacon. You can't go wrong there. I have also tried the New York steak and it was very good. But I guess it can't all be good. I recently tried the Three Mushroom Sirloin and I was fairly disappointed. The steak was tough (I ordered medium rare but the steak was too thick) and the sauce was too salty.
The food is generally of high quality. The servers are always friendly and accommodating. Ambiance is nice and is great for special occasions. Overall, a great place for steak.
I have been to The Keg on Thurlow twice, and I'll definitely go back. The first time, I had calamari as an appetizer. For the price of it, I expected a lot more. I did like that it wasn't deep-fried, though, and it was yummy. The second time, I had yam fries. They were great-- full of spice, and I had a heaping portion. For the main course, I've only had the prime rib. My steaks have always been perfectly cooked (medium-rare), and they've been divine. I like the garlic mash but could do without the fried onions. As for dessert, I've only had the cheesecake, which was good but nothing exceptional.
The waiters I've had have been very friendly and attentive, constantly refilling our water glasses and making sure everything is going okay. As for the hostesses... the first one we had was completely rude. My friend asked her for a table for two, and the woman simply held up her hand, motioning for us to wait. What the heck? The second one was very nice, though the entrance area was completely empty for several minutes, leaving us to wonder if anybody was even there.
The ambiance? Very nice and cozy. Not too loud, though we found the same music was playing from the other night when we had been there!
we were hungry (okay, I was hungry, he - not so much), but we went in at close to midnight and were still able to get full menu service. We started with crab artichoke dip, then I had prime rib with prawns and he had a New York with mushroom. Food was great, and never were we made to feel rushed.
We sat in a booth in the lounge and we completely comfortable. So, yeah, would definately recommend.
Servers and managers at this keg location have no sense of customer service. Even though food was ok, I would never go back to this keg location ever again. Highly unrecommened! Stay away from this location...
Went for a nice lunch with friends. Food was great. My prime rib was little over-cooked when it hit my table, but the waiter promptly replaced it with a another...no questions asked. That is service !!
What can I say, had tenderloin steak that was undercooked from how I wanted it - medium, and it had a weird taste, and ordered lobster on the side... I think the lobster must have sat in a lot of chlorine water prior to cooking because literally within 3 minutes my bottom lip swelled up from some kind of reaction
I ordered vegetables on the side, where were they??? all mushrooms almost
Its a nice atmosphere, to bad they can supervise and train their cooks, because cooking these basic meals is so easy
It was my birthday, and I wanted to go downtown to enjoy the city with my friend. Having read mixed reviews about this location, I was a little skeptical.
Food: as always, the food has been great for me. I love the Keg. My steak was cooked at a perfect medium rare. I got the Sirloin Oscar, and they loaded my plate with mashed potatoes and lots of seafood. No complaints there.
Service: Outstanding. Our waitress was very friendly. She asked what we were at the Keg for, and offered to help my friend and I take pictures when I took my camera out. When she came out with our food, she checked back a couple of times to make sure everything was okay. When we were finished our meals, she brought out the Billy Miner pie and wished me a happy birthday, and again, offered to take pictures.
Value: I think it's decent. Not the cheapest, but it's not like you can't afford it.
Ambiance: The front is a little too crowded and too dark for my liking. The dining area is good though, adds a hint of romance to it.
I'd come here again.
After having a very positive experience at Keg's Yaletown location, we decided to try the Thurlow one. Unfortunately, from the beginning, a few flaws in service left a bad aftertaste with us.
1. We reserved a table for 7, but seeing that we have two young children, the hostess placed us in a table for 6, putting four on one side with a long bench seat, and three in single chairs on the other. The bench is fine, but the table itself was not quite adequete for four to dine on. So we felt cramped.
2. The server never smiled throughout the entire night. No enthusiasm, and appeared rather impatient at times. When we were served the salad, I asked him if I could request to have my steak done Chicago style, and he said he'll have to check although he thinks the kitchen has started cooking it already. My mind is thinking, I was just served the salad, which would take me 10-15 minutes to finish, and they're cooking my steak already (which was to be medium rare and therefore should not take a long time to prepare)?
3. When a different server brought our entrees to the table, he dropped a crab leg onto the table with the meat touching the table surface. He put the leg back onto the plate, and proceeded to serve it. I looked at him and said didn't that fall off the plate, and told him to replace it immediately. He agreed, but instead of just taking that one leg to the kitchen, he took the whole plate along with the steak. The sous chef himself then brought the plate back a couple of minutes later and said the crab leg will follow soon. This caused the steak to cool over time.
4. At the end, when my father asked for the bill as our server was clearing up our table, he said "Yeah, yeah, I know. I'm getting it. I'm just gonna take your plates away first". What's wrong with simply saying "Yes, right away"?
While it was not disastrous and I've had worse service, we were disappointed as this was in sharp contrast to our experience at the Yaletown location.
Another negative about Thurlow location is the noise level, which may be due to its low ceiling.
As the title suggests, if it wasn't for the food, the evening would have been a dull one.
Few days before new year's eve, I went there with my boyfriend to try their famous prime rib. When we go to the restuarant it was rather quiet and empty; nonetheless, the waiter's service really wasn't very attentive. It took him at least 15 mins to come and ask us about our order. We ordered red wine to eat along with our ribs. He kindly recommended this wine that tasted great but wine glass totally ruin the taste of it. It was EXTREMELY dirty and sticky !! I was going to ask waiter to changed the wine glass but it took me way too long to catch his attention to get it changed. The food was definitely worth every penny. The rib was so tender and juicy! The regular was bit big for me but probably right size for men or someone with big appetite.
I might go back again only if they have cleaner glassware.
menu is good. food are good. but they are just doing perfect.
nothing is wrong, they paid attention to details.
i respect that.
price is lil bit high but,,,
everything else is just awesome! keep it up guys
best decor, best quality steak in vancouver.
pride of vancouver
keep it up !! and good luck! hope u win 2014 best restaurant
We had a wonderful time just this weekend, this particular location offered amazing service and comical humor :)
Thank you for accommodating our lovely lady with a gluten allergy so well!
Food was great, service was timely and great!
Sitting next to the kitchen did make us drool early on before our food arrived :)
The pros....gorgeous delicious steak ,salad was house with Italian (I think) dressing..affordable..delicious,garlic bread yummy..
Cons...service ..not exceptional ..had to call a waiter to me after waiting more than 15 min..the salad with the Italian dressing..(like c'mon) ..can't substitute ..had to have roasted potatoe for extra..no chic women like the competition....but 3 Stars is enuff a good quick lunch ..
All I can say great place, nice beer went in last week. fun night to much wine! Service was very good, Server was freindly and knolidgable.
Steak was awesome as always.
All in all I would recommend it.but be ready to pay, I would say it was well woth it!
My boyfriend and I were given a gift card, and decided to dine out at the keg on thurlow. BIG MISTAKE.
1) The "hostess" ignored me, other than to give me a dirty look, and although the place was vacant other than people at the bar the waitresses walked right by me to chat with one another seeming impatient to leave, although it was 3 hours before they closed.
2) Nearly 10 minutes after a snobby conversation with a drunk chick the so called hostess tells me I can take a seat anywhere, and when I tell her I want to order to take out, she asks me if I want a menu which I consider to be obvious, yet I have to call her back to actually give me one when she tells me the busy bartender will take my order for 2 8 oz steaks & a ceaser salad
3) He gives me my card back with the receipt and tells me he to sign it. Confused, I enter the tip amount, yet he doesn't ask for the card, and tells me it will be about 15 minutes.
4) Half an hour later and after several obnoxious glares from the hostess as I wait by the door where I am asked if I had been helped by another waitress before the bartender finally gives me my food
5) I didn't check to see if I received everything, because I just wanted to get out of there, and I wound up bringing home 2 charred beyond belief steaks neither my boyfriend or I could eat, & no ceaser salad.
I assume this is because the tip was not received and they were more concerned with lowbrowing me than asking for me to wait until given a receipt before giving them my card.
Me and the Mrs. went out for a quiet date nite. We decided to eat some steak and lobster. what better place for steak than the keg. so we looked for the closest one to us at the time and went there. Had a few drinks and enjoyed their trio sampler. It was awesome. Then came our food. I ordered the Fillet Mignon and baby girl got her lobster tail. Unfortunately, i asked for my steak to be medium well done, and they under cooked it. it was very very obvious once i pointed it out to our server because it was pink inside. She apologized and got it rite the second time. The food was decent and we had a great dinner and a few more drinks after. Once we asked for the bill, we were approached by the manager, who apologized to us once more and to our surprise informed us that he was aware of the situation and our dinner is their treat (mind you it was over a 100 dollar bill). and invited us to come back with a 50 dollar gift card and ordered us some desert. We werent expecting that for one second. all and all it was great. and the manager turned an below average experience into an amazing one. Good work and our many thanks to him once again. We can't wait to go back.
I went there for lunch with some coworkers, the place and service are ok, but the food is expensive for the quality and the portions, and a bit salty for my taste. I've had better steaks. If you want value for your buck, this is not the place. The wait staff are nice and friendly though.
On Thurlow... Good portions, chicken slices on salad was spicy and ample. Medium-rare Prime rib is red raw... so order one above what you like. Ample wine list: BC, Australian, Chile, etc. markup is double plus.
This is a downtown location but you wouldn't know it. From the outside it looks like a urban Keg location (it is actually kinda on the second floor), but inside the staff is dressed like, I don't know, Tim Horton's maybe? Some Kegs have women that are dressed up and attractive but here none of that. Maybe it's a franchise/corporate store thing?
Food wise it is all good. The prices are Keg high but the steak and potatos are standard good marinated meat. The NY steak is not my first choice but I had t and it was done exactly as I ordered it. At least she paidf attention to my order if not to the attractiveness of her dress. It might be a management thing.
Kinda disappointment and so didn't have wine but a look at the menu confirms they have all the standard Keg wine selections here too.
Keg is never cheap so please give us full value.