I write many reviews of restaurants on this site as well as others. Generally I am an easy going person, understanding of "extraordinary circumstances" and pretty generous in my praise.
I have just had the most unforgivably awful experience at Jang Mo Jib on Robson Street near Cardero in Vancouver's West End.
This place has been around for a while and is a favourite haunt of Asian students here to learn English, and a generally younger Korean crowd. I live 2 blocks away, so I've visited before, and while never overly impressed, I was never treated like this. Because I have vowed never to return, I won't give them the chance to repeat this performance.
Let's start with seating. A 15 minute estimated wait on a Sunday evening turned into 45 minutes for our party of three, during which time the host (over our objections) took an empty table of four which had just cleared, split the table in half and seated 2 couples who had arrived long after we did. Not impressed.
Now let's discuss cleanliness. We were seated in a "back room" area where the adjacent table and floor looked like the food fight scene from Animal House. Staff were sweeping food into piles at our feet as they cleared this nauseating mountain of leftovers. As for our table, we arrived to a soaking wet surface reeking of chlorine bleach. How appetizing.
On to service... We ordered three pretty simple items. One arrived fairly soon. The next was much later. The last - well we still don't know what happened to the last one, although the table seated beside us received exactly the same dish even though they had been seated 15 minutes after we arrived. By now we were well over 90 minutes into our dinner.
A server arrived to sheepishly inform us that they had made a mistake and our third dish had been "cancelled".
Enough. I informed the host at the front that in 60 years living in this city I had never had such shoddy service.
And for the first time in my life, I also informed him that we were not going to pay ANY of the bill and he could sue me.
I often browse the "Terrible" or "One Star" ratings people submit, just to see if the reviewer was a one-off crank with an axe to grind. I have dined all over the world in restaurants grand and modest. Let me assure you that this place richly deserves the drubbing I have given them above. They need to smarten up. All the ESL students in the world aren't going to save your business if you lose touch with basic customer service, hygiene and attention to detail. I sincerely hope your experience is superior to mine if you choose to go to this place. Caveat emptor.
Below are the reasons that you should NOT go there.
The points are in chronological order. (Point 5 is the worst)
1. I was there with a group of 6. My group made a reservation for 6 pm, and they never had it written down on their reservation booklet.
2. We had to wait until they set up a few tables for us. We waited for about 20 minutes, thinking it was awefully long for a table setup. Finally, I couldn't wait any longer, so I asked the owner if the table was set up. While looking at me like 'Are you stupid or what?', he said "Well, we already set up the tables. Just go and sit down." THE TABLES WERE ALREADY SET UP, AND THEY DIDN'T LET US KNOW!
3. Then, we ordered Bu-Dae-Jji-gae along with other Korean dishes. 20 minutes later, we got Gal-bi-jjim instead of what we ordered, so we let the server know of it. She took that hot pot, went into the kitchen, and came out right away to serve that to a table next to us. Then, we waited for half an hour for our order. But, we never got it, so we cancelled it.
4. While eatting, we realised how dirty all the dishes were. ESPECIALLY, THERE WAS SO MUCH SLIME ON THE BOWLS!
THINK ABOUT ALL THAT SLIME RUNNING DOWN ON YOUR THROAT.
5. Although the owner brought his card machine to other customers, he completely ignored us. We were utterly displeased with the service, so we decided not to tip. One of us went to him and gave him cash. He checked the amount and said "WHAT? NO TIP?"
- WHO THE FACK SAYS "WHAT? NO TIP" TO CUSTOMERS? REALLY?
We were so upset and disgusted by their service and decided not to go there ever again.
There are so many other good restaurants along the street, so save your money and go somewhere else.