Sara's Old Fashioned Ice Creams serves a variety of made in house ice cream with flavours such as ginger and lavender as well as classics like chocolate and vanilla.
I have to agree with the other two reviews with regards to redeeming groupons. The owner's attitude change as soon as she knows you have a groupon. Why did you offer the deal if you don't want us to buy it? The customer service you showed disgust me and if you don't want to sell your ice cream then you should frankly close up your shop.
On top of that she never picks up the phone. I called outside of her store when there are no customers inside and she just outright ignored the call. Great way to turn down business. It really begs the question WHY ARE YOU "OPEN" FOR BUSINESS IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SERVE OR FILL CUSTOMER'S ORDERS! Worst business ever and AVOID!
I totally agree with the other recent review on this entity.
If you want to have a feel of a beggar, try redeeming your Groupon coupons at this shop. The attitude of the lady behind the counter will turn immediately from "nice" to "nasty" upon realising that you are redeeming for their ice cream which YOU HAVE PAID IN ADVANCE AT SO-CALLED BARGAIN PRICES. I will never buy their coupons again!!!
Moreover, what service could one expect from a shop which only opens its door at the wish of its owner/staff without showing the basic respect towards its customers by displaying at least a simple OPEN/CLOSED sign on its door (not to say its business hours)??? I also tried to redeem my coupons on four consecutive weekdays without luck. If it wasn't the lighted lamp on the counter inside the shop, I would think that this shop has wound up after taking our money from Groupon.
A word to the owner - Please remember that you are a retail servicing entity at a tourist hot spot!
We were third in line and yes, it seemed that everyone had Groupons in hand; probably because they were expiring soon. This was our second attempt to redeem our groupon..they claimed they had no stock on our first visit..thank goodness we only bought one!
Here are our impressions:
- the young lady serving out front was clearly under-trained and lacked product knowledge.
- the older lady, the owner I assume, mostly stayed in the back and ignored the customers.
- the wall signs showed many flavours but most were "out of stock".
- at one point the owner angrily screamed at the server from the back because she kept asking for flavour availability as customers picked flavours off the wall list that were not in the freezer case.
- they claim they serve made in-house ice cream and try to give you that impression by serving customers from small metal pails in their freezer case. However, we could partly see the owner in the back spooning ice cream from big white factory-style tubs into the metal pails.
- when the owner finally came out front, she served the customer after us and immediately pronounced in disgust, "I'm expecting nothing but Groupons today", when the customer held up his Groupon.
- when the young server finished scooping our two 1-liter tubs of ice cream, the owner stepped in and angrily took the tubs from her and shoved them into a paper bag that barely fit...no thank you, no come again...nothing !!
- we spent at least 20 minutes through this whole ordeal; remember I said we were third in line!!
The whole idea of Groupon is to draw customers into your establishment so that you can Wow them into coming back for repeat business. This owner definitely Wowed us but for all the wrong reasons and we will definitely not be coming back even if they're giving it away.
btw..their ice cream is no better than the Breyers or Chapmans from my local grocer at less than half the price.
I purchased the groupon coupon for 2 liter ice-cream. The owner was so bad when I presented her the voucher. She greeted me with "you come in a bad day"! I was shocked and ask why? She said that she was so busy (there was no one else in the shop.) Then she asked me to come next day, but I said no because this was the THIRD time I tried to redeem the voucher. The shop closed during the weekdays but without any signs outside the shop and no message/remarks when we purchase the deal at Groupon. Then I quickly decided what I want, then she asked me to come back after 20 minutes! I said I would wait in the shop. The owner then put the ice cream into 2 1-liter plastic containers with some squeeze outside of the containers. After that she put the containers in a very wrinkled , huge with Christmas print plastic bag. I said I don't need the bag but I want some napkin to clean up the ice cream outside the containers. She said she didn't have any napkin in the shop. I was angry and I said you were selling food and you didn't any napkins in the shop. Then she yelled at me and said what else I wanted to. At this point, I couldn't hold my temper. I said I wanted to complain and I would NEVER EVER come to this shop again.
I must say my experience of Sara's Original ice cream when my girlfriend and I dropped in on Steveston on a visit from the Interior was fun.
I remember this store from years ago and I thought the renovation to decor and style was a welcome and needed change from before.
There are several ice cream shops in the village and we have tried them at other times. Why is Sara's different? First, they encourage tasting of the flavours which is something many of the other shops don't allow. Second the staff are friendly and willing to help. Thirdly they actually make their own ice cream following traditional recipes. We were told that many flavour ideas come from folks asking for them as they are not available from other ice cream shops. Where else can you get lavender or ginger ice cream for goodness sakes (and my oh my are they delicious). Our impression was that they do not make their own lactose or sugar free flavours so I can see it is a little hard for them to defend the taste of those.
We sampled several flavours and I settled on the Double Dutch Chocolate and my girlfriend had the Lavender. The chocolate is the best I have had anywhere and we have already commented on the lavender.Wish there was a Sara's in the Okanagan.