I've been to this restaurant MANY of times and felt the need to share some tips after reading some reviews.
- This place does NOT take interact. Only cash and credit cards, but NOT AMEX. It's an annoyance but there is a bank two doors down. When I asked the gentlemen behind the bar what the reason was for this he just shrugged and said "That's just the way it is..." - a bit unpleasant, but I'm sure he gets asked that a lot.
- The best times to go here are from 2pm - 7pm. Their lunch hours can be very busy and if you have a limited break then you may want to stick with the drive through. Dinner specials start at 5pm. It's best to go early so it's not too noisy because they do on occasion play the music a tad too loud for my liking.
- They don't have a set closing time. Which sucks if you're really craving those world famous chicken strips @ 11pm!! [If you've tried them, then you know what I'm talking about. MMM!] I usually call them up if I plan to go in anytime after 9pm. Never have they been open past 12am.
- Patience is key to this place. It seems like they hire and fire ALOT of girls or always have someone training... But they have about 4 regular servers who I see working ALL the time and know what's what. The newer girls or part-timers are slow and like to stand around and gossip. NOT THE KIND OF SERVERS I LIKE. It's best to stick with the server you like best, I find the service is MUCH better that way.
- They say they don't have a manager, but he's the guy who opens up in the morning and sits on his bar stool next to the kitchen. This guy has a staring problem, so beware. He gives me the creeps.
- No fail menu items: Chicken Strips; Chips and Salsa; Cajun Chicken Burger; Chicken Cali Burger; Garlic Prawns; Chicken Souvlaki; Veggie Club; Shrimp and Avocado Sandwich; Clam Chowder [DON'T GET THE ONION SOUP!!]; And the Peppercorn Steak are a few of my favorites.
- Ask for your salad dressing on the side. Especially if you're ordering a sandwich or burger. It gets all over the plate. And don't bother asking for your salad first or on a side plate, they don't do that thing here.
- NOT geared towards kids AT ALL!! No high chairs, no crayons, no apple juice, no kids menu, no grilled cheese sandwiches. Not even a step-stool in the bathrooms or a changing table for the little ones.
- Many of the menu items are served AS-IS. So little to no substitutions or special requests. Servers say this is because the kitchen space is EXTREMELY small. And it is...REALLY!! For the amount of seats this restaurant has, the kitchen really needs to be twice the size that it is now. This could be another reason for why your food could take up to 20min at the busiest times and you don't like that or have a real patience issue, then this isn't the place for you.
Well, I really hope this helps anyone who plans on eating here in the future. It truely is a nice little place to have a quick appy and drinks and watch some sports. It's a HIP little spot in town more geared towards "20 somethings."
I still REALLY enjoy L.A. Grill at least once a week. :D