I've been going to Fuji Sushi for years and years now, but decided to try Matoi Sushi due to the reviews on this site, and it didn't disappoint.
Put it shortly, everything is better than Fuji Sushi:
1) Food - the best sushi in Coquitlam, if not arguably one of the best in the province. And I've eaten sushi everywhere...can't be bothered to write reviews for all of them.
For nigiri sushi we ordered: egg, ikura (uhhh salmon roe??) .. they're generous with the amount of salmon roe, tuna, salmon, ebi. And a sashimi platter, I forget the name of it.
Probably a couple of things I'm forgetting, but everything was excellent.
Very good quality tea too, the crappy places tend to give you watered down tea or even oolong tea. And yes, they still do give out a small packet of Pocky at the end of your meal.
2) Service - the wait staff are very polite and attentive, they refilled my tea every time before the cup was empty, I didn't have to wait very long for the food to arrive, and if I had to flag down a server, they would be with me right away. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for Fuji Sushi... it can sometimes be rather difficult getting a server's attention (maybe they don't put enough staff on at once?)
3) Alcohol list - aside from the usual Asahi or Kirin beer + sake, they also have vodka mixed drinks (maybe even a screwdriver if you ask for it, they probably have OJ somewhere)
4) Price - actually this one is about the same. For 2 people the dinner bill came to $35 for various sushi + sashimi orders.
5) Ambiance - like Fuji Sushi, there is a bar where you can sit and watch the sushi chefs work. Also is a private tatami room - might need to reserve this though, it was being used when I was there. Wallpaper has some Japanese photo on it, there also was a TV with a little Canucks thing hanging from it lol (it's playoff time). GO CANUCKS GO!!!
I plan on being a long-time customer as long as they can keep this up.
The only real criticism I have is that they should put some more effort into their website - if it wasn't for the recent reviews on dinehere.ca, I would have thought this place was closed down.