Last night was my first time going to R.T.L, even tho the reviews were somewhat on the mixed side, I decided to give it a chance.
I have to say, this by far, was the worst meal I have ever had in Vancouver. Especially given the location within the heart of Yaletown, you would think there would be a decent standard, but boy am I ever wrong!
There were so much wrongs about this restaurant I don't even know where to begin!
It was a Friday night, place not even half full.
First of all, the waitress was somewhat friendly, not very attentive and had a confused and puzzled look on her face like she wasn't sure what she is doing there. The manager only greeted us, then never came to ask about the food and didn't even notice we left.
The food. Horrific. We ordered the following (there were about 30 min intervals for each dish, not sure what they were trying to achieve with all the tables looking like they were starving to death)
1) House salad, which seems to be just mixed greens you can get at Costco tossed with vinegar and some slimy soft leek, sprinkled with almonds. I make better salad than that!
2) Pork Belly, this was okay, but seems like something you can buy at Chinese BBQ joints. Nothing special there.
3) Chipotle Mussels, this was the WORST dish of the night. I love mussels and I order it at almost every restaurant I go. But I have never ever had mussels this bad, EVER. It was oily, extremely salty and the meat had shrunk to the size of a dime. Definitely not fresh, I wouldn't even eat this if someone paid me to. DO NOT ORDER THIS DISH!!!!
4) Crab and Prawn Fritters, this came about 40 min after the mussels, during that time we had nothing on our table. Having waited that long, I thought they were making it fresh for sure. But it was COLD! and burnt on the side down, which they probably thought no one would notice if they just place it facing down.
5) Potatoes with Duck fat, this is a side dish, and probably the best dish of the night given it was actually on the warm side.
We didn't even bother with dessert, the bill came to $90 plus tax for two people.
The only positive thing I have to say about this place is their decor, but so what? If the food aint good no one aint coming back.
I strongly advise going to this restaurant, it was a total disappointment and didn't help that the entire experience was dragged on and on with the meaningless waiting.