Went back to Seb's today after a 12 month absence. I love the food. So why was I gone for 12 months? The service. Almost 100% of my visits there is some issue. So while i'm on a rant:
THE BAD: As I said, the service is the Achilles' Heal of this place.
* Today (a hot day) no one refilled my water and despite having an empty pint glass for over 20 minutes, no one asked if I wanted another. There were at least 3 servers and only ~ 10 tables (including outside).
* My bill was delivered sometime later even though I still wanted a dessert and a coffee. But no one asked.
THE GOOD: The food - I love it.
* There are few places like this around (les Faux Bourgeois (Kingsway and Fraser) is close by and far superior (especially the service) but it isn't opened for lunch).
* Today I had a great ravioli in a cream-garlice-white wine sauce. My only complaint about this was it was a little on the small side and could have done with even a slice of bread. I'm not a big eater and I'll need to have another meal in ~ 3 hours.
* Also, the beer on tap is local and there was a choice between a nice light beer (whcih I had) and a darker beer.
I guess I'll come back sometime in 2010 and hope that the service has improved. I really want this place to survive because it could be a great asset in this area. It just needs to get it's act together.