I don't think it's fair to compare this restaurant to other chinese restaurants in richmond or near metrotown, but instead to compare Yan's garden to chinese restaurants AROUND the lougheed mall/burnaby area. My food and value ratings take this into consideration. I've been a constant customer to the three main restaurants in this area: North Garden, Mui Garden and Yan's Garden, and I can honestly say Yan's Garden is the best value for money. Let me explain why:
- Has more variety in food - their menu is extensive, and their dinner special set at night includes soup AND dessert. And unlike North Garden, their soup is not starchy/oily/unhealthy. Mui garden doesn't have dinner set specials for tables of 2-4 at night.
- They have constant specials such as 13.99 (or less, sometimes) for an ENTIRE LIVE CRAB cooked in multiple ways (your choice). This is the price per CRAB not per pound. That's dirt cheap for live crab at a fancy-ish chinese restaurant.
- They have decent Dim Sum in afternoons, though you cannot compare their price for Dim sum to the restaurants in richmond (everything in richmond is cheaper/better)
- Once they also had AN ENTIRE LIVE LOBSTER for 22.99. the lobster was huge and fresh and delicious. I pay, $35 for the exact same dish in North Garden. Mui Garden doesn't' even have lobster.
- I have to admit service could be better (because some waiters don't speak english well) but their food, 90% of the time I've been there, has come out very fast and hot. To me, fast service is more important. Also, most of the time they have been very accommodating to changes (for example, if you ask them to substitute certain items or sauces in dishes) , whilst in Mui Garden there is no room for substitution or preferences whatsoever.
- their food, overall, is less oily and salty (thus, I assume healthier) than North Garden. They also listen when you ask them to make it less oily/salty, whilst in North Garden, no matter how much I ask them to go easy on the oil, the food always comes out thick and starchy. Personally, I rather healthier food.
Dishes you should try is Beef Brisket and Daikon Hot Pot (on their dinner set menus), Deep Fried Tofu with Vegetables in Brown sauce, Lobster with cream sauce, Crab, Peking Duck wraps with lettuce are not bad too.