Mrs. C and I recently got back from a trip to China, and we were anxious to compare the food at this place to what we had in Shanghai. We made a reservation and invited the usual weekend dinner gang. We had a little trouble finding parking, but that was okay since there was no table ready at our reservation time. My companions waited in the restaurant lobby, and I did some orbits until I got a space for the Chasiucruiser. While my companions were being seated, a waitress slipped on the wet floor next to our table. She hit the floor hard and stayed down. Mrs. C and the manager helped the stunned server get back on her feet, but her night was over.
Except for the slippery floor, the restaurant looked nice and safe. The place was quite full, and we were looking forward to a big meal. Our replacement server was attentive enough, so no worries there. We never saw the injured server again after her rendezvous with the hardwood floor... I hope she was okay.
We ordered a set dinner with pork hock, Shanghai noodles, lettuce wrap, Peking duck, bean curds with bean, soup, jellyfish and pork, some soup, and cold lamb slices. Of course we also had xiao long bao. All the food arrived all at once, which was fine by us. The set dinner for four probably could have comfortably fed six people. We were enjoying our dinner when I felt something odd in my mouth as I was gobbling some Shanghai noodles. I pulled out a piece of metal wire that was in my food. After a brief inspection by everyone at the table, we reported this to the manager. "Oh, sorry", he said. Okay, I thought, this could happen anywhere. We all avoided the noodles, but decided to carry on with the rest of the food. After all, what were the chances of finding more metal in anything? A short time later one of my companions gave a little yelp and produced a jagged piece of broken hard plastic from the pork hock dish. It was about the size of a quarter. After a brief period of shocked silence, we once again summoned the manager. He was nice about it and offered us an upgraded dessert for our trouble. By this time nobody was very hungry. I will say the dessert was tasty. It was red bean puffs, something I have never tried. Despite the dessert it is fair to say that our dinner was officially ruined.
I would have to say this was the most unlucky meal we have ever had. I don't think this sort of negligence was intentional, but when I take my friends out for a meal we want dinner, not danger. With so many safer alternatives out there, we won't be coming back.